HISTORY OF THE MEDICAL FACULTY
As early as 1944, in the monastery St. Prohor Pcinski, the Presidium of the Anti-Fascist Assembly of the National Liberation of Macedonia, brings a decision by which “Health care is proclaimed state service, hospitals and ambulances for state institutions, and health workers for state officials. Treatment is free. Private practitioners are mobilized in the civil service, and out of working hours they have the right to a private practice with a fixed price. ”
August 30, 1946
The Government of the People’s Republic of Macedonia-Ministry of Public Health submits a memorandum to the Government of the Federal People’s Republic of Yugoslavia-Committee for protection of public health.
“The decision of the Committee for opening of the Medical Faculty in Skopje, adopted at the plenary session of 22.05.1946, to be implemented. There are basics and opportunities for the establishment of clinical hospitals and institutes for work at the faculty. ”
September 26, 1946
The Government of the Federal People’s Republic of Yugoslavia-Committee for protection of public health decides.
In order to perceive the possibilities for establishing a Medical Faculty in Skopje, a commission is composed of: Nikola Nikolic, Ph.D., Government of the Federal People’s Republic of Yugoslavia Committee for protection of the public health. Nemanja Magarević, Government of the Federal People’s Republic of Yugoslavia-Committee for Schools and Science. Prof. Dr. Aleksandar Djordjevic, Faculty of Medicine, Belgrade. Prof. Dr. Bozo Lavric, Faculty of Medicine, Ljubljana. Prof. Dr. Ante Premeru, Faculty of Medicine, Zagreb. Prof. Dr. Miloje Vidakovic, Faculty of Medicine Belgrade, Assoc. Prof. Aleksandar Sabovljev, Faculty of Medicine, Belgrade. Dimche Levkov, Assistant Minister for Education in the Government of the Republic of Macedonia. Dr. Gjorgji Gavrilsky, assistant to the Minister for Public Health with the Government of the Republic of Macedonia.
October 23, 1946
The Commission for perceiving the possibilities for establishing the Medical Faculty in Skopje determines conclusions:
1. “The establishment of the Medical Faculty in Skopje is a medical necessity.” Reasons: The number of doctors in the Republic of Macedonia is small. The faculties in Zagreb, Belgrade and Ljubljana are unable to provide sufficient medical staff. In the Republic of Macedonia, there is a specific pathology, which can be solved with the opening of the Faculty of Medicine in Skopje.
2. The “Earth” hospital in Skopje can temporarily meet the needs for clinical teaching. To provide theoretical instruction and exercises in the Hygienic Institute, the School of Nursing and the barracks in their vicinity.
3. The Committee for the Protection of Folk Health, the Committee on Schools and Science, the Faculties in Zagreb, Belgrade and Ljubljana and the Ministry of National Health of the Republic of Macedonia, to engage in their capacity to provide assistance in teaching staff, literature, laboratory supplies and equipment.
4. The core of the teaching staff should be made up of Macedonian doctors, even with the most humble qualifications for teaching work.
5. The teaching for the first, second, and possibly for the third year may begin on September 1, 1947, if until September 1, 1947, teachers are selected and rooms for lectures and exercises are prepared.
6. For the registrars of the Medical Faculty in Skopje to be appointed: Prof. Dr. Miloje Vidakovic, Faculty of Medicine Belgrade. Prof. Dr. Ante Premeru, Faculty of Medicine, Zagreb. Prof. Dr. Janez Milcinsky, Faculty of Medicine Ljubljana, Prof. Dr. Aleksandar Saobljjev, Faculty of Medicine Sarajevo, Dr. Gjorgji Gavrilski, Government of the Republic of Macedonia and Dimche Levkov, Government of the Republic of Macedonia “.
February 18, 1947
The maticians of the Medical Faculty in Skopje, the Government of the FNR Yugoslavia-Committee for Schools and Science submit a proposal.
“Solutions for teaching at the Medical Faculty in Skopje have been established. It is necessary to establish a special expert commission for examining the possibilities for construction of a new complete medical faculty in the area above and south of the existing facilities of the Land Hospital.
For the members of the Faculty Council of the Medical Faculty in Skopje to choose:
For professors: Dr. Bozdov Sterio-Hygiene, Dr. Vidakovic Miloje-Physiology, Dr. Krampotic Mario-Internal, Dr. Jusbasic Dimitrije-Surgery, Dr. Niketic Bozhidar-Psychiatry.
For associate professors: Dr Spirov Boris-Internal, Dr Muratovski Gligor-Physiology, Dr. Hermershmitt Ernest-Dermatovenerology.
For assistant professors: Ing. Rajfert Radivoj-Chemistry, Dr. Melkonian Leo- Anatomy, Dr. Krizan Zdenko-Anatomy, Dr. Stanatkovic Dimitrije-Pharmacology, Dr. Karagjozov Pance-Surgery, Dr. Knezevic Mirko-Pathology, Dr. Manchev Haralampiye -Pediatrics, Dr Werner Ruza-Histology.
For freelance teachers: Dr Zdravev Petre-Otorhinolaryngology, Dr. Zivkovic Mihailo-Physics, Vitanov Boris-Biology.
The first session of the faculty council to be held on March 6, 1947. For Deputy Dean of the Medical Faculty in Skopje is named Dr. Miloje Vidakovic.
February 20, 1947
Government of the People’s Republic of Macedonia adopted a Decree.
“Established Medical Faculty in Skopje”.
Teachers at the Faculty of Medicine in Skopje are appointed teachers proposed by the Faculty of Medicine in Skopje.
For VD Dean of the Faculty is named Prof. Dr. Sterjo Bozdov, and for the Vice Dean Prof. Dr. Miloje Vidakovikj.
March 17, 1947
The first session of the First Teaching Council (according to the minutes, the Professorial Council) at the Medical Faculty in Skopje is held in the premises of the “Land Hospital”.
Attend: The Registers, the Minister of Health of the People’s Republic of Macedonia, the Minister for Education of the People’s Republic of Macedonia, the Dean of the Faculty of Philosophy in Skopje, other officials, invited and uninvited guests.
Prof. Dr. Sterio Bozdov, the first dean of the Medical Faculty in Skopje, welcomes the audience and expresses his confidence that on October 1, the Faculty will be able to start a lecture on the II, II, III, IV and B semester.
He counts the clinics of the Medical faculty formed by the departments of the “Land Hospital”, Surgical 160 beds, Internal 110, Children 60, Gynecologist 50, Tuberculosis 60, Eyes and Ears 35, Mental 38, Skin 27.
He explains that “for institutes: bacteriology, general and pathological anatomy, rooms are provided in the bacteriological institute; for anatomy and histology, the barracks in the circle of the Land Hospital have been reserved, and for forensic medicine, phthisiology and pharmacology, the building is already being built. And all this’ with the modesty of a person who knows the possibilities and fulfills the desire, emphasizes, “until the next five years we did not build the entire medical faculty in Vodno.”
The next day (March 18, 1947) and the public is informed. “Nova Makedonija” and “Politika” will publish the text: “Medical Faculty opened in Skopje. The lectures will begin on September 1 this year. ”
Later, Prof. Dr. Sterjo Bozdov said: “It was clear to me what difficulties we will have to face only with the creation of the material base. When I asked, in a conversation with the members of the committee, whether they seriously thought that the montage barracks would be able to serve the theoretical institutes smiling indifferently, they replied: the Macedonian people have the freedom and need of doctors. Difficulties will have to be overcome. He never took me more enthusiasm. In those days as if I felt the real value of the freedom of a people. The construction of one of the cultural values of this people begins “.
At the next sessions, the Teachers’ Council adopted the curriculum, and due to lack of teaching staff, it was decided that the small teaching staff (9 teachers and 3 assistants) should “cover” several teaching subjects. The studies will last 12 semesters, and theoretical and practical will be studied 41 subjects.
The first institutes were founded: Anatomy, Histology, Chemistry with biology, Pathology and Pharmacology.
The budget funds allocated to the Land Hospital have been diverted to the Medical Faculty. The faculty “Medical faculty” is working fast. The volunteer brigades also participated students of the Medical Faculty.
November 3, 1947
Pleasant, sunny, autumn day Nine o’clock. In the park in front of the barracks built after the First World War, 150 young people came from all over Macedonia, some of them from Pirin Macedonia and a number from other republics of the former Yugoslav Republic of Yugoslavia were in an unusual expectation. The first generation of the newly established Faculty of Medicine in Skopje was expecting its first academic lesson. “The lecture room was small and messy, it looked more like a classroom than a primary school, but it was full”, he wrote in his memories Prim. Dr Mihail Shumkovski, student of the first generation of students at the Medical Faculty in Skopje.
And the first lecture was held. And then, lectures, exercises until the first exam and continue until the last exam. To the doctor of medicine.
After six years from the first hour, more precisely on December 30, 1953, the Macedonian National Theater hosted the first promotion of six graduates at the Medical Faculty.
At the Faculty of Medicine the first Ph.D. Dr. Radovan Percinkovski on May 17, 1958, and the first one was M.Sc. Dr. Katica Zafirovska on 18.11.1976.